Candu Energy Inc., member of SNC, is looking to hire multiple civil engineers for full time term/permanent positions. The Civil Engineering Department within the Nuclear Process, Equipment and Civil division at Candu Energy is engaged in CANDU & other nuclear civil engineering work involving structural analysis, civil design, ageing management to support the life extension and service work of existing nuclear power plants and new builds. Civil engineers are required to perform structural and seismic analysis, seismic margin assessment, and structural design as well as prepare and issue analysis, design, and assessment documents. This is an opportunity for those wishing to participate in the Candu Energy nuclear services business and will provide valuable career development opportunities in support of operating CANDU's and new build structural analysis and design.
A civil engineer position will work closely within the Civil Engineering Department as well as Process, Mechanical, Instrument and Control, and other interfacing groups.
The types of engineering work may include structural and seismic analysis, structural design and assessment of structures, systems, and components. Examples of the kinds of documentation to be produced include analysis reports, design calculations, design Reports, technical specifications, and design requirements. The candidate should be (or able to become ) familiar with the use of analysis programs such as ANSYS, SAP2000, STAAD Pro, SSASI, and others. Duties will be carried out under general guidelines from the Team Discipline Leads and may include the following:
- Work under the supervision of the intermediate/senior engineers for deliverables and ensure adequacy of scopes, budgets and schedules;
- Perform structural analysis, seismic qualification and assessment, structural design, and ageing management;
- Quality Check the work performed by the others to ensure accuracy, completeness and quality of technical information and design documentation;
- Proactively self-start and self-monitor the work performance, identify any potential risks/gaps of scopes of work performed;
- Able to work on the technical solutions under the supervision of senior engineers ;
- Perform plant walkdowns as and if required in support of design requirements definition and detailed engineering of design modifications.
- Effectively and efficiently communicate with team members with good interpersonal skills for the work team, inter-disciplines, and project management;
- Provide engineering input and support to Field Engineering groups;
- Obtain inputs as required from plant commissioning, operations, and maintenance personnel and client engineering and scientific specialists in interfacing disciplines;
- Prepare engineering design calculations for structural systems involving steel, reinforced concrete and masonry elements as per the relevant CSA Standards and applicable codes;
- Able to work with designers/drafters for design drawing production and deliveries; and
- Participate in formal engineering design and other reviews as may be mandated for the design changes in question.
- Civil Engineering degree from a university of recognized standing or eligible to be licensed in a professional engineering organization recognized in Canada, Master degree and above is an asset;
- Good knowledge of the underlying engineering principles and practices are required
- Prefer to have working knowledge of NBCC, CSA and other applicable industry codes and standards ;
- Must be of academic knowledge of structural analysis and design;
- It will be an asset if familiar with at least one commercial finite element analysis software, such as STAAD Pro, SAP2000, ANSYS, LS-DYNA, or equivalent .
- Probability based analysis with regards to structural reliability is an asset;
- Knowledge of CANDU nuclear structures, systems and equipment will be an asset;
- Self motivated, and be able to seek practical solutions to engineering problems;
- Demonstrated good interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Good oral and written communication skills is a minimum requirement;
- Demonstrated initiative, drive and resourcefulness;
- Ability to work in an ever-changing environment with conflicting priorities; and
- Ability to manage to work effectively under tight schedules and budget.
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin's accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Employee Job Type
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as SNC-Lavalin ) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.