The Institut Laue-Langevin (ILL), situated in Grenoble, France, and founded by France, Germany and the United Kingdom, is Europe's leading research facility for fundamental research using neutrons and operates the brightest neutron source in the world. The ILL’s Reactor Division, whose role is to produce the neutrons needed to supply the ILL’s scientific instruments, is responsible for operating all the technical installations associated with the reactor. It currently has a vacancy for a:
Mechanical Maintenance Technician
You will join the Reactor Block, Fuel & Sources group, which is part of the ILL’s Mechanical Engineering Service and is responsible forthe operation and maintenance of the Reactor Division’s lifting and handling equipment. As a member of this group, your main duties will be to:
- Perform fuel-related handling operations: fuel element loading and unloading operations, replacement of water inside the fuel handling columns, etc,
- Maintain the equipment that makes up the reactor’s handling facilities: fuel handing columns, handling cranes and gantries, reactor pool gates, diesel generator sets, etc,
- Conduct periodic inspections and requalification of the pressure equipment used by the group (handling column valves, reactor valves, etc.),
- Operate and maintain the hot cell used to cut up irradiated equipment,
- Manage maintenance sites from their preparatory phase through to completion of the work,
- Draft procedures, technical specifications, reports, etc.,
- Prepare the shuttles for the irradiation of radioisotopes for medical research; transfer the shuttles once they have been irradiated to the hot cell, where they are cut up in order to extract the samples they contain,
- Assist on an occasional basis with the operation of other equipment under the group’s responsibility.
In this post, you must be able to assume a high level of autonomy quickly.
Qualifications and experience:
- Level 5 qualification (HND or equivalent) in mechanical engineering or industrial maintenance, together with at least 5 years’ professional experience in industrial maintenance,
- Practical experience in the maintenance of mechanical equipment in nuclear installations would be an advantage,
- Excellent writing skills (for the drafting of procedures, technical specifications, technical reports),
- You have a “hands-on” approach to your work and a very high level of autonomy with strong analytical skills,
- Team spirit, versatility and the ability to show initiative.
As an international research centre, we are particularly keen to ensure that we also attract applicants from outside France. Knowledge of both English and French is required. Knowledge of German would be an advantage.
This post is a permanent position.
Medical fitness for work under ionising radiation is required.
Post based in Grenoble, France, and subject to administrative screening.
Generous company benefits (expatriation allowance), relocation assistance and language courses may be offered (for more information, please consult our employment conditions).
How to apply:
Please submit your application on line, no later than 14/03/2021, via our website: www.ill.eu/careers (vacancy reference: 21/09).