Principal Nuclear Inspector
Plymouth - Devonport
Starting Salary: Negotiable
About the role
We’re looking for a Principal Nuclear Inspector to join us at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We’re a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
The successful candidate will exhibit strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence at all levels of the Business, a questioning attitude and the courage to stand out whilst remaining objective, proportionate, and pragmatic.
What do I need to do the role?
- Recent regulatory experience
- Experience in the management, operation, and maintenance, or safety oversight of, and/or engineering or technical support to nuclear or other high hazard plants.
- Extensive experience of developing, implementing and advising on HSSE arrangements.
- Good analytical skills to support critical reviews of performance.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills enabling consistent, transparent, and constructive delivery of sometimes unwelcome feedback, challenge, or advice.
- Ability to build relationships and establish networks, and use them for gathering and sharing intelligence.
- Chartered membership of a relevant professional institution or able to demonstrate performance and / or experience at an equivalent professional level.
- A degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate scientific or engineering subject.
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health Certificate.
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
- Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It’s why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy’s new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we’re compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way which reflects the restrictions we face.
Babcock are continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to ensure that this is done in a responsible way with consideration of the unprecedented circumstances we are facing.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you’ve completed this you’ll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.
For any queries please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org