Role - Radiological Waste Specialist
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £Negotiable (dependent on experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
The role will manage the sentencing and recording of RA solid and non-aqueous RA Waste on behalf of AWE, liaise with external suppliers and ensure compliance with third party Waste Acceptance Criteria.
Successful Candidates will be responsible for:
- Appointed as a Suitably Qualified and Experienced Person to consign RA waste from the AWE estate in compliance with the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Regulations.
- Identify and assess any assay necessary to be undertaken to support RA waste sentencing.
- Identify waste suitability for external consignment via the Nuclear Waste Services/MOD framework contract.
- Co-ordinate the construction of waste consignments within the Solid Radioactive Waste Management Record System (SRWMRS).
- Ensure compliance with AWE Nuclear Material Control & Accountancy protocol for RA Waste collections and consignments.
- Generate accurate RA waste consignment paperwork and review appropriate approvals from receiving sites prior to transporting RA Waste.
- Generate and ensure waste and consignment containers are acceptable to destination site.
- Ensure AWE remains within its Permits and Authorisations.
- Governance of the creation, maintenance and secure storage of lifetime records associated with RA waste
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security, and quality.
- A good understanding of Safety Case, Safe Operating Envelope, Criticality Clearance Certificates and Operating Instructions.
- Working knowledge of RA Waste Operations and Non-Destructive Assay techniques e.g., RA assay and radiography.
- Working knowledge of Accountable Nuclear Material transfers.
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role.