Senior Mechanical Designer
Location: Whitehaven, Cumbria
Business Unit: Cavendish Nuclear
Here at Cavendish Nuclear, we are currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Designer
We are proud to be the UK’s leading supplier to the nuclear industry and a growing global force. From our inception during the earliest days of nuclear research and development, we recognised that a focus on people and the expertise they deliver is the key to meeting the challenges of this exciting technology.
The breadth of our expertise means we are able to offer unrivalled experience and specialist knowledge across all aspects of the nuclear energy life cycle, from design and build, through operations and maintenance, to decommissioning, waste management and remediation.
Focused on major projects in Nuclear Decommissioning, you will provide support and technical guidance for a team of multi-disciplined designers. The role will assure the quality of output to the required standards consistent with whole lifecycle from concept to in service support.
You will take Designs and develop solutions, resolve design issues and problems for a range of specialist design situations. Providing specialist technical advice and guidance to other designers, as well as design governance for technical standards for a team
Key duties will include:
- Allocate discipline tasks to allocated team of Designers, check team drawing outputs, and ensure inter discipline coordination in accordance with company and regulatory standards
- Promote effective co-operation across Design and other functional teams
- Assist in effective management of the customer, including liaison and relationship development with existing and new customers, to aid the development of business, resolution of technical and delivery issues, and such that the customer is fully briefed and informed of progress
- Advise and assist in selecting the correct methods and tools for tasks and provide technical assistance to allocated team of Designers
- Contribute to the preparation/production of drawings in support of basic, detail and production design in line with recognised ISO standards and to the required; time, cost and quality requirements.
- Provide point of contact with professional engineering colleagues and various stakeholders for discipline related issues during design lifecycle, contribute to design reviews and ensure coordination and functionality of design
- Assist in the resolution of Production & Technical Queries & development of discipline solutions for the team in relation to manufacturing & installation issue
- Develop innovative design solutions, and fulfil Design Lead responsibilities as assigned for multi discipline low risk projects
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications
Ideally you will hold a HNC/HND or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline, an Incorporated Engineer Status is also desirable
You should have experience in a detailed design environment, with good knowledge of CAD tools and Autodesk Inventor.
Experience in the nuclear sector is highly desirable, and other highly regulated industry backgrounds will also be considered.
What else do I need to know?
- All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview