For 50 years, we've been driven by the firm belief that engineers are the architects of tomorrow's world, leading the way with their daring, their expertise and their ability to push boundaries.
Together with our customers, our 6,000 employees innovate on a daily basis and contribute to accelerating energy transition throughout the world. They support the world's greatest engineering projects in the fields of energy, digital and transport.
A fast-growing international Group, we are present in 13 countries (in Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Africa).
Assystem is an International Engineering Consultancy with significant growth plans within our Energy & Infrastructure business here in the UK.
Our Defence Platform office is based in Derby where we specialise in the management and design functions of submarine and nuclear projects within the UK.
Consequently, Assystem Energy & Infrastructure Ltd (AEIL) is looking to recruit motivated and focused individuals to join our growing team.
As Assystem's Defence Infrastructure business grows, we are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated and outcome focussed Senior Safety Engineer.
Job Title: Senior Safety Engineer
Employment type: Permanent
Assystem is an International Engineering Consultancy with significant growth plans within our Energy & Infrastructure business here in the UK. Consequently, Assystem Energy & Infrastructure Ltd (AEIL) is looking to recruit Safety Engineers for various opportunities in the UK.
In certain instances the Safety Engineer will play a central technical role within project delivery and therefore will need to have good communication & technical management skills, to ensure that the interface with the project manager and other technical disciplines is efficient & effective. The Safety Engineer must therefore be able to successfully lead presentations at design review meetings which may include client representatives.
At AEIL a Safety Engineer applies a logical technical process to provide design input for assemblies, systems and installations to ensure any design is safe, functionally adequate for the user defined technical specification and in line with the appropriate design codes. During the design process the Safety Engineer shall take into account the time & cost impact of the design decisions made, communicating any significant deviations to the project management team where commercial review is required.
Responsibilities and Key Skills:
- Has an appreciation of wider technical issues beyond own discipline
- Clarify and agree project requirements at all levels.
- Contribute to the project delivery plan demonstrating strong technical and commercial awareness.
- Work closely with the project team to produce deliverables to the agreed milestones and of the required quality.
- Assist with the preparation of estimates for projects or proposals.
- Presenting at Client Design Reviews
In depth knowledge of the following:
- Hazard identification techniques such as HAZOPs, SWIFT, FMEAs, FTA, ETA and reliability evaluation methods
- Experience or knowledge of hazard assessment processes , including design basis assessment techniques (e.g. production of fault schedules, the derivation of Safety Functional Requirements) and ALARP and ALARA
- Authoring of design substantiation reports.
- Sound understanding of the national/international safety related standards, procedures and processes, and the requirements of a modern standard safety case.
- Well versed in the application of appropriate engineering standards.
- Good interpersonal, communication and influencing skills.
- Awareness and working knowledge of the other elements of Safety Engineering skills and practices.
- Ability to manage and work within virtual teams.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree in a relevant engineering discipline or the ability to demonstrate the Underpinning Knowledge and Understanding required for chartership.
- Ideally a Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartership.
- Experience in working with a highly regulated industry.
Applicants will be required to meet certain residency criteria in order to attain a minimum level of UK security clearance, if not already security cleared to a minimum SC level.