AWE is looking for a Senior Waste Specialist to Act as a Subject Matter expert for the management of Radioactive Waste within the Business.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £42,000 - £66,400 (dependent on experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
Ideally, we are looking for candidates with detailed knowledge of UK and European waste legislation, standards and guidelines and those systems that exist to enable industry to comply.
Successful Candidates will be responsible for:
- Specifying the functional requirements and standards to which the Radioactive Waste Route and site shall operate.
- Providing technical direction and definitive advice to AWE on the management of Radioactive Waste.
- Setting, or support to the setting, of Strategy, Standards, Procedures and Guidance to ensure a consistent interpretation of relevant policies and legislation across AWE.
- Drive improvement in the management of RA waste.
- Liaise with the ONR, EA and other stakeholders as appropriate for waste related matters.
- Provide Waste Officer training and support maintenance of competent waste officer resource.
- Deliver inspection programme against processes including (legislation, internal standards, procedures and guidance).
- Support the application for relevant Nuclear License Conditions, Environmental Authorisations, Permits, Exemptions or Variations
- Maintain Nuclear and EPR16 Baseline Roles
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates should be able to demonstrate some of the following:
- A recognised degree in science or engineering enhanced by experience or post-graduate qualification; or equivalent combination of relevant qualifications and/or experience.
- Experience working in a responsible role within a relevant waste management or waste regulatory field.
- Knowledge of the Environmental Management System and the requirements of ISO 14001.
- Knowledge of health and safety requirements appropriate to the job.
- Experience of managing a small team would be preferred but training will be given
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.